What Are We Without Water?
“If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water.” – Loren Eiseley
As we all know, water is an essential element for life here on Earth. From plants to humans, we all require water to maintain our health and life. But we are in the midst of a global water crisis. Not only is the issue about having enough water, it is about having access to clean and safe water as well.
Florida beverage companies understand that, and we have made a commitment to improving our water conservation efforts as we rely on water not only as an ingredient but for the production of many of our products. Over the past five years, we have been able to reduce our water use ratio by 14% and are on track to maintain a double-digit increase over the next ten years.
What many people do not realize is that the beverage industry’s use of water accounts for only one-third of one percent of all water usage. However, our industry is uniquely positioned to use our influence to impact and promote sustainable water stewardship.
We have made a commitment to the practice of the following policies to do our part to protect our water resources:
- Protect natural resources
- Minimize wastewater
- Properly clean wastewater before it is released into the environment
- Reduce water consumption
- Help prevent groundwater contamination
- Enhance global water sustainability and community programs
Our water policy focuses on four areas: quantity and impact, quality, efficiency, and long-term comprehensive and flexible policies.
We are using and reusing and investing in technologies that will increase efficiencies in our facilities. We also know that this goes beyond how much water we use, but also the impact on water quality. Our activities ensure that we are preserving the quality of water as well as ensuring we return water to our communities at a rate equal to what we use.
Another element of our focus on water sustainability is education and partnership with the communities in which we operate and serve. We know that we can have more impact when we engage with others, which is why we partner with organizations as well as local water conservation districts and managers. And our partnerships go beyond Florida, ensuring we are focused on the entire global picture.
There are also things that our consumers can do to help us grow our initiatives and impact:
- Understand the facts. We all need municipal water systems. We are customers just as you are and therefore, we all need a strong, viable water supply.
- Understand your water footprint. Water can sometimes be an “invisible resource”. We need to understand how much we use on a daily basis.
- Make daily changes. Shorter showers, fixing leaks, and only washing or watering when needed instead of daily – can all add up.
Working together we can continue to move the needle and have a positive impact on this magical resource that we all need to live healthy and happy lives in the Florida sun.